Experience has taught me to listen to my experience.
When faced with different situations, my inner monologue* kicks in and starts feeding me nuggets of advice:
- You’ve done this before
- Don’t stress- you can’t know what’s going to happen in this meeting
- Trust in your teammates in the room
- Qualify that question, don’t answer it right away
- Pounce! Now! Close it!
- Step in and save this
- You know more about this one than they do
- They know more about this one than you do
- I never thought of it that way
- It’s okay to be wrong on this one
- You’re giving them a lot of information, building on credibility
- It’s not about you
Listen to the advice your inner monologue feeds you. You’ve spent years developing it.
*It’s not a dialogue- I don’t converse with it, I listen to it.